Moong Dhal with broccoli, perfect for a homemade casserole, soup and stew
My name is Kulvinder Kaur, I'm based in Bristol, a wife and a mother of 3 children. Cooking is a big part of our home. I always need to be one step ahead and at the same time keep everyone healthy. The dish I have arranged is one of many great Dhal dishes but this is one of my favourite options.
These ingredients are based on a family of 4 if you are 2 people in a household then half the ingredient is only needed.
- 200g of Moong Dhal (green lentils)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 10g of ginger
- 1 whole broccoli
- 4 green good size chillis
- 100g of chopped tin tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of salt (not heaped)
- 1 teaspoon of ground Turmeric, Haldi (not heaped)
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper (not heaped)
Wash Moong Dhal green lentils with warm water for 1 minute. Place Moong Dhal in a pot, fill the pot half way with water covering the Dhal by a couple of inches.
- Grind the 5 cloves of garlic and add to the Dhal
- Grind the ginger into and add to the Dhal
- Slice green chillis into small pieces and add to the Dhal
(If you have a grinder you can grind all 3 at the same time).
- Add the 100g grams of tomatoes
- Add the 2 teaspoons of salt, the 1 teaspoon of ground Turmeric and the 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Chop broccoli into small pieces and add to Dhal
- Stir and leave to simmer for 2 hours. Check and stir on a regular basis
You can enjoy this dish with naan bread or rice, or even both!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Read more about the Kulvinder Kaur